Tech Titans and Fintech (Part 2) with Aly Dhalla, Zaheer Merali, and Jason Pereira | E72
A discussion on how Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, IBM, Alibaba, Tencent, and Biadu are moving into the fintech space.
In this 72nd episode of Fintech Impact, Jason Pereira, award-winning financial planner, university lecturer, writer, and host continues the previous discussion from episode 71 with returning guests Aly Dhalla, CEO & Co-Founder at Finaeo and Zaheer Merali, Entrepreneur, Advisor, Investor, and Connector of Fintech and Healthtech. The financial innovations of technology behemoths Amazon, IBM, and Alibaba are the core focus of this talk.
● 00:24: – How long will it be before a tech giant will become their own bank?
● 02:48: – Aly and Zaheer share hypothetical possibilities of how Amazon could link machine payment to shared devices.
● 06:16: – How will autonomous cars change business models and customer experiences?
● 08:05: – You can’t move money between banks on the weekend because the servers are closed on weekends because they keep bankers’ hours.
● 09:00: – What can we expect from Haven health service at Amazon, a joint venture with Berkshire Hathaway and Chase.
● 12:41: – Jason shares a past journal reading about Microsoft tackling out of control healthcare costs.
● 15:06: – What are the reasons why medicine won’t be an efficient and free market?
● 17:06: – What innovations are IBM involved with?
● 21:30: – What are some statistics related to transactions?
● 22:38: – Which financial areas have Alibaba in China dove into?
● 27:15: – What are the ways that solving the wrong problems can occur?
● 29:07: – Why shouldn’t small companies worry about not having a way into solving big problems?
● 30:48: – Every business needs its true believers.
● 31:32: – Break down the big issues your company has and solve the Individual parts.
● 32:58: – To innovate requires failure.
3 Key Points:
1. Work, leisure, and sleep are the three divisions of our time. When cars drive themselves, travel time, which is work for the driver, becomes leisure, turning cars into a new total leisure experience for everyone.
2. Medicine won’t be a free and efficient market because of patents, doctors
paid by a third party, and insurance costs.
3. The estimated hard currency in the world is around $5 trillion. The total estimated world money supply is around $80 trillion. The global GDP is $103 trillion. There are $282 billion in transactions per day.
● “The one thing is, none of those players (Amazon, Google, etc.) has ever tackled a regulated business before.” – Zaheer Merali
● “A whole new industry is being built around creating experiences.” – Aly Dhalla
● “In the last five years, definitely in the last three, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have heard the name IBM in any conversation.” – Zaheer Merali
● Facebook – Jason Pereira
● LinkedIn – Jason Pereira
● FintechImpact.co – Website - Fintech Impact
● Aly Dhalla – Linkedin
● Zaheer Merali – Linkedin